If we’re ever caught with lemonade concentrate in our shopping carts, many villages are missing several idiots. We’re talking equal parts water + sugar + lemon juice to make a concentrate + four times the water = the best lemonade you’ve ever tasted. The secret is to heat the water and sugar so it dissolves, combine it with the lemon and then add the rest of the water. Feel free to use lime juice – which would be perfect with a Mexican spread or taco night – and don’t forget the tequila!
I’m hoping I can behave my way into summer – and it all starts with a glorious batch of lemonade. And remember, lemonade is the perfect start to all sorts of cocktails – make the lemonade, put out vodka, gin, tequila, champagne, ginger beer – and soda water to add a little fizz, for those who go there, and you’ll be set straight through ’til Labour Day.
1. Measure the water & sugar.
2. Get it in a pot to heat until the sugar melts.
3. Just like this.
4. I love my juicer – it makes juicing citrus effortless. Juice your lemons however you like to juice ‘em.
5. Juice until you have a cup of lemon juice – that usually takes 4-5 lemons.
6. Here’s one of the reasons I love my juicer – it catches all the pulp and pith and pits – say that 10 times fast – I know, not possible!
7. Pour the lemon juice through a sieve into a pitcher – as you can see a few sneaky seeds and pulp make it through.
8. There you have pure gorgeous lemon juice. And for my pitcher I use my Bodum hot chocolate maker/frother gizmo – the swizzle stick in the centre is a perfect stir stick!
9. Add the cooled sugar mixture – simple syrup actually.
10. Then add water – around 4 cups.
11. At this point give it a taste and adjust the lemon to sugar ratio if you need to, but I don’t think you’re going to need to.
12. Fill a couple of glasses with ice and pour in the lemonade, add a straw (I’m a fan of reusable acrylic ones), and yell “lemonade”!
13. Put it on a tray, through a few lemons around and you’ve just made summer! This batch will be enough for 4.
14. Add a sprig of mint if you like but it’s certainly not necessary. Consider summer beverage basics covered!
1. Mix in a pot and heat to dissolve:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
2. Juice, strain & pour in a pitcher:
- 4-5 lemons
- 4+ cups of water
4. Do not add ice to the pitcher as that will dilute the lemonade. Simply fill glasses with ice as you enjoy the most delicious lemonade you’ve ever tasted!